Submitted by Billie Owens on December 29, 2012 - 4:57pm
Wires are arcing, but not down, on a utility pole at 11230 Genesee St. in Alexander. There's also a fire in the center of the top of the pole. The location is near the county line. Alexander Fire Department is responding. The utility company has been notified. No ETA given.
UPDATE 4:01 p.m.: A responder on scene says the utility company should be advised that the pole is well off the roadway. It does not have a transformer on it. But the fire is now four feet down from the top pole and it's "burned pretty good." The ETA of the utility company is 30 minutes to an hour and a responder says he will "babysit" the situation until the workers arrive.
Submitted by Howard Owens on December 24, 2012 - 11:27pm
Multiple fire companies responded to a house fire at 10122 South Street, Pavilion, following a reported structure fire at 9:06 p.m.
Callers reported seeing flames coming out of the garage and spreading toward the house, according to Emergency Dispatch.
There was nobody home at the time the fire was reported.
The fire is now contained and mutual aid companies are going back in service.
Responding were Pavilion, Le Roy, South Byron, Stafford, Caledonia, York, Bethany and Alexander. Bergen was called to fill in at Le Roy's hall and Wyoming filled in for Pavilion. City of Batavia's Fast Team also responded.
Mercy EMS and Le Roy's ambulance also provided scene support, along with Emergency Management Services.
Submitted by Billie Owens on December 16, 2012 - 2:40pm
A fire in the bathroom is reported at the Wilson Farms Market at the corner of Cedar and Ellicott streets. Upon arrival city fire reported "nothing showing." But once inside, they confirmed a small blaze and said they should be able to put it out with a water can.
UPDATE 1:41 p.m.: City command reports the fire is out. It was started by a bathroom vent fan and firefighters are breaking into the ceiling the make sure the problem is resolved.
UPDATE 1:48 p.m.: A rep from the county Health Department is called to respond.
UPDATE 2:39 p.m.: The city assignment is back in service. A rep from the Health Department is at the store.
Submitted by Howard Owens on December 14, 2012 - 7:01pm
A possible house fire is reported at 8757 S. Lake Road, Corfu.
Pembroke and Indian Falls dispatched. One tanker from East Pembroke requested to the scene. Mercy EMS also dispatched.
There is light smoke showing, according to the first chief on scene.
UPDATE 6:02 p.m.: The fire started in the bathroom and has spread into the ceiling. A second alarm is sounded. (And just as we write this, a chief says the fire is out, second alarm can respond non-emergency. City Fast Team canceled.)
UPDATE 6:06 p.m.: Alabama to fill in at Indian Falls. Darien and Corfu requested to the scene non-emergency. South Lake at Route 5 being shut down.
UPDATE 6:43 p.m.: Responders can go back in service.
Submitted by Howard Owens on December 2, 2012 - 10:33pm
The first part of the old farmhouse at 7694 Batavia Stafford Townline Road was built before the Civil War. Today, all of those years became ashes in a controlled burn conducted by the Town of Batavia Fire Department that capped a morning training session at the structure.
Firefighters showed up at the former Dorman family farmhouse early this morning and conducted several interior firefighting exercises.
Town of Batavia Fire First Assistant Chief Nathan Fix said some of the fires really got going, and all were knocked down by interior firefighters in training.
"We had fireman who got to see real fire in real conditions for the first time," Fix said. "We had at least 10 firefighters here who never experienced real fire, real heat, before."
Volunteers from Batavia as well as Bethany, Byron, Bergen, Corfu, South Byron, Oakfield and Elba all participated in the morning exercises.
Bergen's ladder truck was then set up in position to help contain the anticipated inferno, as well as a handful of charged fire hoses, then using road flares, Fix set the structure on fire.
Once the house was ablaze, the firefighters were give a chance to do something that never happens at a real fire scene -- pose for a group photo in front of the burning building.
It took more than an hour for the structure to be completely consumed.
Mark Hare, who was about 5 when his family moved into the house in 2000, made a video of the destruction of his childhood home while his mother, Dawn Hare, looked on. Andy Hare, a retired city firefighter, is in Georgia and couldn't be here for the fire. The Hares' daughter is also out of town.
The Hares built a new home on the hill behind the old farmhouse two years ago, and it's now for sale.
Dawn said the whole family was sad to see the old house go, but it had to be done. The structure had numerous deficiencies and had deteriorated beyond repair. Even when the Hares lived in it, there was no heat on the second floor, the kitchen sink backed up every winter and the electric was out of date.
Fix said it took him six months of work to get all of the proper permissions to burn down the structure, including insurance letters, letters from every utility company that ever serviced the house, the Hares themselves and the DEC.
Since all of the proper paperwork was only recently completed, and it's the onset of winter, the fire department decided to do all of its training and the final bonfire in a single day.
If you're unable to view the slide show below, click here.
There are 10 black and white photos in the slide show. They were shot with a Nikon F4 and Illford XP2 film.
Submitted by Billie Owens on December 2, 2012 - 3:17pm
A fully involved house fire is reported at 5 Myrtle St. in Le Roy. Heavy smoke and flames showing. There are still people inside the house -- entrapment. Le Roy fire is responding along with mutual aid from Caledonia.
UPDATE 2:19 p.m.: It is believed everyone is out of the house. Bergen and Pavilion are also responding. The address is between Clay and Bank streets. Le Roy medics are on scene.
UPDATE 2:25 p.m.: Town of Batavia's Fast Team is called in and National Grid is notified about the fire.
UPDATE 2:26: "It looks like they've got it knocked down."
UPDATE 2:28 p.m.: They are going to bring in fans to clear the smoke. National Grid has no ETA.
UPDATE 2:31 p.m.: Stafford is standing by in Stafford's quarters, in case needed for any other Le Roy incident. Firefighters on Myrtle Street are taking out their tools for overhaul.
UPDATE 2:34 p.m.: "It looks pretty clear on the second floor."
UPDATE 2:37 p.m.: They are asking the Town of Batavia to go back in service. Fire is out. Doing overhaul.
UPDATE 2:43 p.m.: Caledonia is released from the scene.
UPDATE (by Howard): At the time I left the scene, about 3 p.m., the cause of the fire was under investigation. Chief Tom Woods said when he arrived on scene, there were flames showing in the back of the structure and two people were partially out of a window. It's a little unclear, but apparently they had tried to put the fire out and thought the fire was out. Investigators had not yet completed interviews with them. Woods told the people to get out of the building and they did. Crews were quick the scene and interior firefighters made entry and knocked the fire down before it could do serious damage. A neighbor called the fire in, not the residents. Woods said that if the fire had been going five more minutes before fire crews arrived the whole structure would have been lost and it would have been a difficult fire to fight because of how close together units are on Myrtle.