Quantcast
Skip to main content
Thursday, August 28, 2014 at 8:37 pm

BBQ grill next to garage said to be out of control on North Street in the city

post by Billie Owens in batavia, fire

A BBQ grill out of control is reported at 106 North St. in the city. It's close to a garage. City fire is responding.

UPDATE 9:40 p.m.: Command reports the fire is within city code. The city assignment is back in service.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Stove fire on Railroad Avenue, Alexander

post by Billie Owens in alexander, fire

A working stove fire is confirmed at 3517 Railroad Ave. in Alexander. Smoke is showing. The stove is centrally located in the residence. Alexander fire is responding and Town of Batavia, as mutual aid, is called to the scene. The location is next to Z&M Ag and Turf.

UPDATE 5:19 p.m.: This is now a working house fire. Equipment from East Pembroke and Bethany are also called in, along with a tanker from Darien. Plus, a crew from Darien is asked to stand by in Alexander's quarters.

UPDATE 5:31 p.m.: Help from Attica is on the way, too.

UPDATE 5:36 p.m.: A search has confirmed there is no one inside the house.

UPDATE 5:54 p.m.: East Pembroke and Darien tankers are returned to service.

UPDATE 6:25 p.m.: All units back in service.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Pickup truck ablaze at Route 19 and Selden Road, Le Roy

post by Billie Owens in fire, Le Roy

A fully involved pickup truck fire is reported at Selden Road and Route 19. Town of Le Roy fire is responding.

UPDATE 1:56 p.m.: Le Roy ambulance is called to the scene to aid a firefighter with a possible head injury.

Saturday, August 16, 2014 at 10:21 am

Possible structure fire on Farnsworth Avenue, Oakfield

post by Billie Owens in fire, Oakfield

A possible residential structure fire is reported at 8 Farnsworth Ave., Oakfield. The home is filled with smoke. Oakfield command on scene reporting nothing showing. Alabama fire is asked to stand by in quarters in case needed.

UPDATE 11:21 a.m.: Command tells the crew headed to the scene to check out the basement, which smells like smoke.

UPDATE 12:34 p.m.: The problem was a "burnt cooler motor." Responders are back in service.

Sunday, August 10, 2014 at 7:11 pm

Barn fire reported on Sand Hill Road on the Tonawanda Indian Reservation

post by Billie Owens in Alabama, fire, Tonawanda reservation

A barn fire is reported at 7629 Sand Hill Road "at the curve," on the Tonawanda Indian Reservation. Alabama, Pembroke, Indian Falls and Akron fire departments are responding. One caller to dispatch so far.

UPDATE 8:34 p.m.: Indian Falls and another unit are returning to service. No status reported on the blaze.

UPDATE 8:50 p.m.: All responders back in service.

Saturday, August 2, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Tree with wires down on Main Road, Stafford

post by Howard B. Owens in fire, Stafford

A tree is down with wires across the roadway on Main Road, Stafford, near Fargo Road.

Stafford fire is responding.

UPDATE 7:13 p.m.: Traffic is being slowed, not stopped, on Route 5.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Smoke in residence on Holland Avenue prompts city fire response

post by Billie Owens in batavia, fire

City fire is on scene at 14 Holland Ave. after a report of smoke filling the residence. Firefighters say nothing is showing, investigating. It is a two-and-a-half story structure. The caller in another apartment evacuated the building.

UPDATE 6:02 p.m.: Command reports a possible "appliance burn out."

UPDATE 6:14 p.m.: A burned-out washing machine motor is deemed to be the culprit. This assignment is back in service.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 at 7:52 am

Report of smoke in the residence on Telephone Road, Alexander

post by Howard B. Owens in alexander, fire

Smoke is reported on the first floor of a residence at 3625 Telephone Road, Alexander.

Alexander fire is responding. Town of Batavia also dispatched.

A chief reports, "we've got smoke in the house. It smells like trash. I can't find anything." He asked another responder to check a neighbor's property.

A responder reports, "nobody's burning anything in the area."

A chief asks for the thermal camera.

UPDATE 9 a.m.: Alexander returning in service.

UPDATE 9:08 a.m.: At 9, two Alexander trucks went back in service. Now the assignment is back in service. The chief reports, "burnt hummingbird feeder."

Saturday, July 19, 2014 at 3:36 am

Fire in yard at scrap processing business in Corfu

post by Billie Owens in corfu, fire

 

A fire is reported in the yard at Ed Arnold Scrap Processors, 2210 Angling Road, Corfu. East Pembroke Fire Department is responding. Town of Batavia fire is called to stand by in East Pembroke's hall and a tanker from Indian Falls is requested.

UPDATE 4:37 a.m.: Equipment from Darien and Alexander are also requested to the scene.

UPDATE 4:46 a.m.: Oakfield Fire Police are to shut down traffic at Route 33 and Angling Road; Corfu Fire Police are to shut down traffic at Route 5 and Angling Road. Pembroke and Alabama fire departments are called in.

UPDATE 5:28 a.m.: An engine from Oakfield is requested to fill in at East Pembroke's fire hall. Mutual aid from Newstead is called to stand by in Indian Falls. Mercy medics are responding non-emergency mode to the scene.

UPDATE 5:58 p.m.: An engine from Elba is requested to fill in at East Pembroke's hall.

UPDATE: Reader submitted photo:

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 at 9:33 am

Officially, cause of Saturday's fire in Le Roy undetermined, but electrical origin likely

post by Howard B. Owens in fire, Le Roy

The likely culprit in Saturday's fire Le Roy that destroyed the home of Greg and David Luetticke-Archbell is electrical.

Whether it was an electric device that first caught on fire or wiring in a wall hasn't been determined.

There is no evidence of any deliberate action that caused the fire.

Jim Bouton, a coordinator and investigator with Genesee County Office of Emergency Management, discussed the investigator's findings with The Batavian this morning.

"On the report it will say the cause is undetermined," Bouton said. "The primary principle is electrical."

The fire started in the garage, Bouton said, not on the porch as initially reported.

Also, the explosion during the fire was caused by backdraft, which is caused by the rapid reintroduction of oxygen into an enclosed area where oxygen has been depleted by fire.

There was lots of fuel available for a fire -- what firefighters call "fire load" -- big wood beams and all of the accoutrements of a modern lifestyle.

Bouton said these days people have a lot more polyester, plastic and other flammable materials around the house, which is just fuel for flames.

In the Luetticke-Archbell garage there was a motorbike, snowmobile and woodchipper, all with gasoline in the tanks, not to mention the fiberglass of the snowmobile to add fuel to the fire.

The house at 8005 North Road was built in 1806. There had been many upgrades to the residence, including upgraded electrical, Bouton said, but that still doesn't mean an electrical problem can't creep up.

Asked how concerned other residents should be about electrical fires, Bouton explained people should pay attention to how they're using electric and what's going on with the electric in their house.

Houses built before the electronic gadget age are susceptible to problems.

Most people don't understand how they overload their circuits.

(NOTE: During our conversation, Bouton wanted to make it clear he wasn't implying Greg and David did anything to cause the fire -- the cause remains undetermined.)

Bouton used this example: In your bathroom you probably have a 15-amp circuit. You plug in a curling iron and hair blower. Each draws 1,500 watts. Divide those 3,000 watts by 120 voltage and you're drawing 25 amps on a single 15-amp circuit.

That overload causes wires to heat and over time the wires become damaged.

It can take many years, but it's a fire hazard.

If you read the instructions for your microwave, refrigerator and freezer, you are warned that each should be on their own 20-amp circuit. Often, however, people just plug these items in with no consideration to what circuits they're on.

For those of us using power strips for our home entertainment centers or desk areas, chances are the devices are not drawing enough concurrent electricity to create a problem, but the preponderance of electronic devices -- mobile phone chargers, computers in every room, TVs in multiple rooms, etc., should be a concern.

In older homes, the fusebox has been replaced by a circuit breaker (perhaps not by a licensed electrician), Bouton said, but it's still a 60-amp service when it should be 100 amps for all the electronics in a typical home today.

If your lights flicker when you turn on electronics, or you keep blowing a circuit breaker, perhaps you're overloading circuits, Bouton said.

Bouton noted that it's ironic that in the City of Batavia, only a licensed plumber can do plumbing work in another person's home, but there's no prohibition against using unlicensed electricians.

Bouton recommends using licensed electricians for any wiring or rewiring for inspecting any suspected issues with circuits.

"I'm not saying we have a big problem out there, but people should be aware," Bouton said. "If you've got a question call an electrician."

Premium Drupal Themes