Quantcast
Skip to main content
Sunday, December 29, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Steamy laundry room prompts volunteer firefighters to respond to College Village alarm

post by Billie Owens in fire, town of batavia

Town of Batavia volunteer firefighters are back in service after responding to College Village when a fire alarm sounded in the laundry room.

Crew members:

"They left the window open again?"

"Yep."

"They just don't get it."

In addition to heating soup and zapping microwave popcorn, laundromats are posing yet another challenge for some villagers.

Sunday, December 29, 2013 at 2:23 am

Garage fire reported on Bogue Avenue, Batavia

post by Howard Owens in batavia, fire

A garage fire is reported on Bogue Avenue, Batavia.

City fire is responding.

UPDATE 1:24 a.m.: Engine 11 on scene reporting the fire may be out.

Sunday, December 29, 2013 at 12:50 am

House fire reported on Pearl Street Road, Batavia

post by Howard Owens in batavia, fire

The call started as a report of a house filling with smoke, yet no fire seen, at 3065 Pearl Street Road, but when an East Pembroke chief arrived, he reported flames on the side of the house from an electrical wire.

Firefighters from East Pembroke, Town of Batavia and Corfu are all dispatched.

National Grid requested to the scene.

UPDATE 11:56 p.m.: Alabama requested to fill in at East Pembroke.

UPDATE 11:58 p.m.: Firefighters are starting ventilation of the house and checking for extensions. National Grid has a 35-minute ETA.

UPDATE 12:01 a.m.: No extensions located. The fire is out.

UPDATE 12:26 a.m.: Town of Batavia code enforcement officer responding to the scene.

UPDATE 1:31 a.m.: East Pembroke and all responding agencies back in service.


View Larger Map

Friday, December 27, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Farm truck on fire on Old Oak Orchard Road, Elba

post by Howard Owens in elba, fire

The cab of a truck hauling onions on Old Oak Orchard Road is reportedly on fire and stopped just south of Ridge Road, Elba.

Elba fire is responding.

UPDATE 4:08 p.m.: A chief is on scene. The fire is out.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Smoke in basement of home on Kingsbury Avenue, Batavia

post by Billie Owens in batavia, fire

Light smoke is reportedly coming from the basement of a home at 11 Kingsbury Ave. in the city. Batavia Fire Department is has arrived on scene and reports nothing showing from the outside, investigating.

UPDATE 12:44 p.m.: The source of the smoke is found to be a cigarette burning inside a plastic container in the basement. It is extinguished. Ladder 15 is told to continue to the scene, non-emergency mode.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 at 11:49 am

Car fire reported on South Main, Batavia

post by Howard Owens in batavia, fire

A car fire is reported at 14 S. Main St., Batavia.

City fire is responding.

UPDATE 10:51 a.m.: City fire on scene. Fire appears to be out.

Saturday, December 21, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Kitchen fire at the Flying J in Pembroke

post by Billie Owens in Alabama, fire, indian falls, pembroke

A kitchen fire is reported at the Flying J Travel Center on Route 77 in Pembroke. Nothing is showing, according to a responder, but the restaurant is being evacuated. He also says there are no flames and that the fire is probably electrical in nature and is in the ceiling.

Pembroke, Indian Falls and Alabama fire departments responding, along with a ladder truck from Akron.

UPDATE 5:12 p.m.: They are going to open up the ceiling tiles. The gas and electricity are shut off. A light tower will be put up so firefighters can see the roof. A rep from National Grid is requested. A thermal imaging camera is requested.

UPDATE 5:25 p.m.: Fire is out. Checking for extensions.

UPDATE 5:41 p.m.: "The roof is cleared." The public health department will be notified of the incident as required. A crew from Newstead is asked to stand by in Pembroke Fire Hall.

UPDATE 5:46 p.m.: Town of Pembroke Code Enforcement will be notified of the incident as required.

UPDATE 7:21 p.m. (by Howard): The Alabama assignment is back in service, but the restaurant remains close pending code enforcement clearance.

Saturday, December 21, 2013 at 2:28 pm

House fire on Main Street in Oakfield

post by Billie Owens in batavia, Alabama, fire, Oakfield

A house fire with light smoke showing is reported at 32 S. Main St. in Oakfield. Mercy medics are on scene and Oakfield Fire Department is responding along with mutual aid from the Town of Batavia and the city's Fast Team. Alabama is asked to fill in at the Oakfield hall.

UPDATE 1:30 p.m.: Alabama is asked to reroute and go to the scene.

UPDATE 1:38 p.m.: National Grid is called to the scene. No ETA.

UPDATE 1:41 p.m.: A thermal imaging camera is requested.

UPDATE 1:45 p.m.: Elba Fire Police are called to shut down traffic at Orchard and Main, and at Main and South Pearl. The fire is knocked down. They are checking for extensions.

Friday, December 13, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Chair on fire dumped in front of a residence in Pavilion

post by Alecia Kaus in fire, Pavilion

Pavilion fire is on scene at a residence next to Hanson Aggregates on Ellicott Street Road for a chair on fire that was dumped in front of the house.

Firefighters are letting the chair burn since it is not close to any structure.

State Police have been dispatched.

UPDATE 9:42 p.m.: Pavilion is back in service.

Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Working house fire on Gully Road, Le Roy

post by Billie Owens in bergen, fire, Le Roy, Pavilion, Stafford

A working house fire is reported at 8261 Gully Road in Le Roy. Le Roy Fire Department and Ambulance Service are responding, along with mutual aid from Bergen, Stafford and Pavilion. The location is at the curve, between Oatka Trail and Hebbard Road. The house has been evacuated.

UPDATE 6:39 p.m.: The city's Fast Team is called to the scene. Command says the interior fire is pretty much knocked down except the second story.

UPDATE 6:44 p.m.: Oakfield is called to stand by in the city's fire hall. The Town of Batavia Fire Department is called to stand by in its own quarters. An extension ladder is needed at the scene to access the second story at the rear of the structure.

UPDATE 6:49 p.m.: Stafford "will be the standby crew for the district." National Grid is called in.

UPDATE 6:55 p.m.: They will be working to open up the roof line. South Byron is asked to stand by in its own quarters, at the request of Stafford.

UPDATE 7:01 p.m.: Fire Police will be providing traffic control at Route 19 and North Road.

UPDATE 7:08 p.m.: Howard is at the scene and says it's not a big blaze. A small portion of the roof caught fire due to overheated wood around the stovepipe at the roofline.

UPDATE 9:10 p.m. (by Howard): Firefighters with a thermal imaging camera have checked the roof line and report no more hot spots.

Premium Drupal Themes