Quantcast
Skip to main content
Monday, March 10, 2014 at 6:15 am

Smoke coming from basement on Bethany Center Road

post by Billie Owens in Bethany, fire, Stafford

Smoke in the basement is reported at 10423 Bethany Center Road. The location is between Cackner and Jerico roads. Bethany Fire Department is responding along with mutual aid from Stafford.

UPDATE 6:26 a.m.: Stafford is told to stand down.

UPDATE 6:36 a.m.: Issue resolved. Bethany is back in service.

Monday, March 10, 2014 at 4:41 am

Apartment on fire with three people possibly trapped inside on Broadway Road, Darien

post by Billie Owens in Darien, fire

A structure fire with possible injuries is reported at 1363 Broadway Road. There are flames coming from the basement of an apartment building and there are three people trapped inside. Darien Fire Department is responding along with Mercy medics.

UPDATE 4:47 a.m.: All occupants are out of the building. It is a two-story wooden structure with flames now shooting out of the second story. The incident has gone to a second alarm, with two engines and a rescue unit from Corfu called to scene along with the city's Fast Team and equipment from Alexander. A fill-in crew from East Pembroke is requested to Corfu's Fire Hall. Traffic is being shut down at Route 77 and Warner Road.

UPDATE 5:04 a.m.: Traffic is also being shut down at Route 77 and Harlow Road.

UPDATE 5:56 a.m.: The fire is showing periodic flames at this point and heavy smoke. Interior crews from Pembroke and Indian Falls are called in.

UPDATE 6:19 a.m.: Town of Batavia fire is requested to the scene in emergency mode, to stage in Darien Fire Hall.

UPDATE 6:30 a.m.: Flames and heavy smoke still spewing from the structure, which is quite old and has "balloon construction." This is frustrating the firefighters' efforts to douse the blaze. They put out flames in one spot and the fire climbs up the wall to another place. Alabama is asked to fill in at Indian Falls Fire Hall.

UPDATE 6:49 a.m.: There were four six residents in this building comprised of five apartments. All got out safely, but one man's dog perished in the fire. Two of the tenants are volunteer firefighters for Darien and both were both home at the time.

UPDATE 7:47 a.m.: Howard, who is at the scene, interviewed one of the two volunteer firefighters, Joshua Reeb. Here's some of what he said:

"I was sleeping in my bed and my roommate, who happened to be awake, busted in my door, opened my door and said 'Come on, come on out. There's smoke. It smells like fire.' I woke up my girlfriend and said 'Grab your purse. You've got to go out the window.' I wasn't even going to try the door. I'm not going to risk it with that much smoke.

"I went to check on my neighbor -- he's older -- to make sure he could get out. He couldn't get out the front door so he went out the fire escape, which is connected to my neighbor's window. I came down the fire escape and made sure to get everybody out of the house. Got in my truck and went to the fire hall and got the (fire) truck prepped."

He credits his firefighting training with helping him to stay calm and provide direction. The other firefighter, "Paul," did likewise. Unlike another neighbor, Paul was able to save his dog. After making sure the occupants were safe, both went to the hall, which is just around the corner, to get things "ready to rock."

UPDATE 7:50 a.m.: They are still battling the fire, but there are fewer flames and a lot less smoke.

UPDATE 8 a.m.: The owner occupies the main apartment and has lived there 30 years. He's a mechanic and in his basement were a fully restored Jeep and a fully restored Harley-Davidson motorcycle and two other Jeeps that he was in the middle of restoring. All gone now.

UPDATE 8:09 a.m.: The Darien fire chief says the fire is knocked down. Overhauling the structure.

UPDATE 1:29 p.m.: The fire has reignited in some places and Darien Fire Department is responding.

Thursday, March 6, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Upstairs room ablaze in house on Oak Orchard Road, Elba

post by Billie Owens in elba, fire

An upstairs room is reportedly on fire at 6456 Oak Orchard Road, just north of Lockport Road. Elba Fire Department is responding.

UPDATE 8:56 p.m.: An engine from Barre is requested to provide mutual aid.

UPDATE 9:02 p.m.: The Town of Batavia is requested to provide equipment at the scene and a crew to stand by in Elba's hall. Also called for mutual aid are South Byron, Byron, Oakfield and Bergen.

UPDATE 9:13 p.m.: Elba command requests all equipment to continue in non-emergency mode.

UPDATE 9:35 p.m.: National Grid is called in; no ETA given.

UPDATE 10:06 p.m. (by Howard): Fire reported under control.

UPDATE 10:12 p.m. (by Howard): Information provided by Alecia Kaus, who is on scene: Chimney fire that got into the walls. Code enforcment on scene, trying to determine if the family can stay. No injuries. Seven fire companies responded, including two from Orleans County. Fire is out, doing overhaul and checking for extensions with thermal camera.

Phtoo by Alecia Kaus.

Friday, February 28, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Chimney fire reported on Broadway Road, Bethany

post by Billie Owens in Bethany, fire

A chimney fire is reported at 5901 Broadway Road. Bethany Fire Department is responding. The location is between East and Transit roads.

UPDATE 4:15 p.m.: Stafford fire is called to provide mutual aid.

UPDATE 4:20 p.m.: Stafford is told to remain in quarters.

UPDATE 4:33 p.m.: Bethany command tells Stafford to stand down.

UPDATE 5:06 p.m.: The assignment is back in service.

Friday, February 28, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Possible house fire on Davis Avenue in the city

post by Billie Owens in batavia, fire

Smoke is reportedly coming from the roof of a house at 12 Davis Ave. The residence is being evacuated. City Fire Deparartment is responding.

UPDATE 12:49 p.m.: City fire reports nothing showing. Investigating. It's a two-and-a-half story house.

UPDATE 12:55 p.m.: They searched the building. The smoke is actually steam coming off the roof. City fire is picking up and preparing to leave the scene.

Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 2:00 pm

House filling with smoke on Macomber Road, Alabama

post by Billie Owens in Alabama, fire

A house is reportedly filling with smoke at 6912 Macomber Road, Alabama. The location is between Judge and Ham roads. Alabama Fire Department is responding. Dispatch says it is possibly a chimney or wood stove problem.

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 at 10:43 pm

Structure fire reported on Route 19, Le Roy

post by Billie Owens in fire, Le Roy, Pavilion

A structure fire CO detector is activated at 9259 Route 19, in the area of Robbins Road, Le Roy. Le Roy Fire Department and Ambulance Service responding, with mutual aid from Pavilion standing by in quarters.

UPDATE 9:54 p.m.: This was a CO detector call, not a structure fire.

UPDATE 9:56 p.m.: Pavilion standing down.

Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 10:56 pm

Fire reported in Bank Street apartment

post by Billie Owens in batavia, fire

A fire is reported in apartment #11 at 337 Bank St. in the city. Engine 11 is on scene and command says it looks like a fire burned itself out. Nothing was showing when they got there. The whereabouts of the occupant of the apartment is not known at this point. A firefighter says the first floor is clear and they are checking the second floor and ventilating the apartment. The second platoon was called to the scene and the fourth platoon was told to stage in the fire hall.

UPDATE 9:58 p.m.: The complex is called the Walden Estates. The fire is confirmed to be out and firefighters are overhauling the apartment. Apparently, no one is home.

UPDATE, Sunday (by Howard): The fire caused an estimated $50,000 in damage, according to city fire. There was heat and smoke damage to the entire two-story apartment. Nobody was home at the time of the fire. The fire was reported by a neighbor who heard the smoke detectors sounding. City fire was assisted at the scene by Batavia PD, Mercy EMS and National Grid. The cause of the fire remains under investigation.

Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 9:08 am

Smell of smoke in attic of Genesee Justice building, city fire investigating

post by Billie Owens in batavia, fire

City firefighters are on scene at 14 W. Main St., Genesee Justice, after the smell of smoke was reported coming from the attic. Command says it is electrical in nature and that they "will be here awhile" investigating.

UPDATE 8:16 a.m.: The smoke is coming from a burned out motor of some kind in the attic. Maintenance personnel will handle it. City fire is leaving the scene. Assignment back in service.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 at 11:42 am

Possible fire in the wall at McDonald's in the city

post by Billie Owens in batavia, fire

A possible electrical fire in the wall is reported at the McDonald's restaurant on West Main Street. City fire is responding. An employee told dispatch that the business was not being closed.

UPDATE 10:47 a.m.: Small electrical problem in the office. The breaker has been tripped. Maintenance will be responding to fix it. City fire is back in service.

Premium Drupal Themes