Quantcast
Skip to main content
Saturday, June 30, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Dryer fire reported at mobile home on Lake Street Road

post by Howard B. Owens in fire, Le Roy

A dryer fire is reported at a mobile home on Lake Street, Le Roy.

A Le Roy PD officer reports smoke in the residence.

The occupants are out of the home.

Le Roy Fire Department is responding with mutual aid from Bergen.

UPDATE 12:26 a.m.: Pavilion firefighters are asked to stand by at Le Roy's hall.  The fire is knocked down. Fans requested.

UPDATE 12:35 a.m.: Fire contained to the dryer. No extension. The fire is out.

UPDATE 12:48 a.m.: Bergen back in service.

UPDATE 1:06 a.m.: Pavilion back in service.

Saturday, June 30, 2012 at 7:44 am

Transformer fire reported in Pembroke

post by Howard B. Owens in fire, pembroke

A transformer fire is reported at 1145 Main Road, Pembroke.

The location is right in front of the Pembroke Highway Department.

Pembroke and Indian Falls fire departments dispatched.

The fire appears to have burned itself out.

UPDATE 8:49 a.m.: A fire responder says the fire is out. The pole is a little charred.

UPDATE 9:36 a.m.: Power is out for fewer than five customers. National Grid expects repairs to be completed by 12:15 p.m.

UPDATE 11:08 a.m.: The traffic lights at Route 77 and Route 5 will be out for an hour during transformer repairs. A deputy is being dispatched to direct traffic.


View Larger Map

Friday, June 29, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Brush fire off Route 63, south of Village of Oakfield

post by Billie Owens in fire, Oakfield

A brush fire is reported off Route 63, just south of the Village of Oakfield. Oakfield Fire Department is responding.

UPDATE 3:17 p.m.: The fire is knocked down.

UPDATE 3:19 p.m.: Oakfield is back in service.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Shed fire on Ivison Road, Byron

post by Billie Owens in bergen, byron, elba, fire, south byron

A shed fire is reported at 7410 Ivison Road in Byron. It is connected (or close) to a barn. Byron, South Byron and Bergen fire departments are responding.

UPDATE 7:01 p.m.: Elba is called to stand in at the Byron Fire Hall.

UPDATE 7:04 p.m.: Firefighters on scene report smoke is showing. The location is between Gillett and Freeman roads.

UPDATE 7:08 p.m.: The response from Elba and Bergen is cancelled.

UPDATE 7:14 p.m.: This was actually a tractor on fire, which was parked in the shed. The fire is out and the tractor has been removed from the shed. The inside of the shed has been hosed down.

UPDATE 7:21 p.m.: Byron is back in service. South Byron is remaining until the scene is picked up/cleaned up.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Brush fire on Gilbert Street, Le Roy

post by Billie Owens in fire, Le Roy

A brush fire is reported at 82 Gilbert St. in the Village of Le Roy. Le Roy Fire Department is responding. A fireman at the scene says there's a fire in the woods.

UPDATE 6:45 p.m.: A firefighter says "We've got it pretty well knocked down. There's just some embers on some logs."

UPDATE 6:52 p.m.: The fire is out. Le Roy is picking up equipment and will be in service momentarily.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 at 11:13 am

Smoke in the basement of Oakfield residence

post by Billie Owens in fire, Oakfield

A possible fire is reported at 24 Maple Ave. in the Village of Oakfield. There are no flames showing, but smoke is coming from the basement. The caller says it may be electrical in nature. Oakfield Fire Department is responding. The power has been turned off. The location is between Gibson and Main streets.

UPDATE 12:18 p.m.: The firefighter says "We've got an electrical fire in the wall." A pumper and tanker from Elba are requested to the scene.

UPDATE 12:29 p.m.: A building inspector is called to the address.

UPDATE 12:32 p.m.: A rep from the Niagara-Mohawk power company is requested.

UPDATE 12:32 p.m.: The fire is out. Oakfield and Elba are back in service.
Saturday, June 23, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Shed fire on Munson Street in Le Roy

post by Billie Owens in fire, Le Roy

A shed fire is reported behind a residence at 38 Munson St. Le Roy firefighters are responding.

UPDATE 4:33: The shed is small and there's not much in it. They are holding the assignment to Engine 63.

UPDATE 4:35: Le Roy police are also on scene.

UPDATE 4:39 p.m.: Le Roy ambulance also responded, but is now back in service. UPDATE 4:44 p.m.: The fire is out. Le Roy firefighters are back in service.

Friday, June 22, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Burner on stove that was accidently turned on may have been cause of fire on Union Street

post by Howard B. Owens in batavia, fire, Union Street

City fire investigators have yet to release the cause of a fire early Friday evening that broke out in a home on Union Street, but the current resident of the home described how the fire may have started accidentally.

Doug Veltz, who has lived at 1 Union St. for many years but was moving out after Terry Platt recently acquired the property, was trying to nap, he said, when he smelled smoke.

At first, he said, he thought the smoke was being blown into his room through a fan in the window, but then he thought that maybe he should play it safe and investigate.

As I was coming down the stairs, I could smell it," Veltz said. "It was coming from my house. I got to the kitchen and there was flame coming from the burner on the stove. There was a glass candle sitting on the burner on the stove. It was just set there. The candle wasn’t lit. Before I went to sleep, I must have bumped a dial, a knob on the stove."

Veltz said his first instinct was to blow on the flame.

"In one big breath, I blew it out," he said.

He then turned to get some water and as soon as he turned his back, he heard the burner flame back up and this time, the flame was two feet high.

There was a winter coat there and I was going to try and smother it," Veltz said. "It went up in flames and at that point, I realized it was beyond my control. I screamed for my dog. He came downstairs. Luckily, I had my phone with me and I dialed 9-1-1."

Fire Chief Jim Maxwell said the department won't have information to release from its investigation until Sunday at the earliest.

Veltz said he had moved only a small portion of his belongings, including collectable items and all the photos of his children, which he had just placed in a tub in the dining room.

The back of the house was badly damaged, but Platt said he believes the structure remains solid and he plans to renovate the interior and eventually sell the house.

Maxwell said a quick response -- even though Engine 12 was at Dwyer Stadium for fireworks night -- helped save the structure.

All platoons from city fire were called to the scene and Town of Batavia's Fast Team also responded. Alexander fire was on standby at the city's fire hall.

Mercy EMS and Batavia PD also responded.

Friday, June 22, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Smoke from controlled burn is annoying neighbors around Erie Street, Le Roy

post by Billie Owens in fire, Le Roy

A controlled burn is reported at 2 Erie St. in the Village of Le Roy and it is said that "the smoke's irritating the neighbors." Police are responding.

Friday, June 22, 2012 at 6:16 pm

House fire on Union Street in the city

post by Billie Owens in batavia, fire

A working house fire is reported at 1 Union St. in the City of Batavia. City fire is responding. Many calls have come in on this. The location is at the corner of West Main Street.

It's a two-story house and the upstairs is on fire. All off-duty firefighters are also called in, and the Town of Batavia Fast Team. One person on the first floor remains unaccounted for.

UPDATE 7:19 p.m.: A Mercy ambulance is called.

UPDATE 7:21 p.m.: The missing person has been accounted for and is safe. National Grid is called in.

UPDATE 7:24 p.m.: The chief says "We've got a good knock down on this fire. Heavy smoke throughout. Checking for extensions."

UPDATE 7:27 p.m.: Alexander firefighters are called to fill in at the city station.

UPDATE 7:29 p.m.: There's fire in the basement. There's no fire in the attic now, but there's still heat. The fire on the first floor is out. They've got three water lines on the house.

UPDATE 7:31 p.m.: They've broken out the basement windows and the basement fire is mostly extinguished. They have not yet cut the power at the panel box "too much debris." They are having trouble locating the gas line to shut it off. They are going to put fans out front to help blow away the smoke.

UPDATE 7:34 p.m.: They've found the gas line and shut it off. In the basement, the electrical panel which contains the circuit breakers has melted.

UPDATE 7:44 p.m.: The second floor fire is out, including some extension into a wall.

UPDATE 7:45 p.m.: "The homeowner's pretty sure it started on the stove, in the kitchen there."

UPDATE 7:51 p.m.: National Grid has arrived.

UPDATE 7:55 p.m.: National Grid has shut off the power. A building inspector is called in as is the American Red Cross to assist one occupant.

UPDATE 8 p.m.: The building is owned by Terry Platt. The occupant is Doug Veltz.

UPDATE 8:03 p.m.: The Red Cross is expected to arrive in about 15 minutes.

UPDATE 8:32 p.m.: Town of Batavia's Fast Team is released from the assignment.

UPDATE 9:04 p.m.: Alexander is back in service. Mercy medics went back in service some time ago.

UPDATE 9:47 p.m.: The Union Street assignment is back in service. All responders are clearing the scene.

Premium Drupal Themes