Two local efforts under way today to collect donations for Superstorm Sandy relief
Submitted by Howard B. Owens on November 16, 2012 - 8:33am
As we all know, the East Coast was recently struck by Hurricane Sandy and has much devastation. Members of our community have decided to start a donation drive at the Pembroke High School (routes 5 and 77 in Corfu) on Friday, Nov. 16, from 3 to 7 p.m. with the help of students of the high school.
The students are really coming together to all participate in making this happen. We have been in direct contact with the location where we are making our drop and the following are their specific needs.
We will be accepting: bottled water, toiletries, non-perishable food items and bulk food items for the location because they are making daily hot meals for those who continue to have no electricity. Also needed are: blankets, gently used coats, hats and gloves, and new or gently used toys and Home Depot gift cards, but please no money.
But money can be given to the American Red Cross <www.redcross.org> and checks made out to the American Red Cross can be accepted during the charity drive at the high school.
After, we will be joining with Alden Presbyterian Church to move the goods to another church in New Jersey. Thank you for your time and generosity!
Also, an update on the Rotary drive, from Samantha Vagg, who said specific items are needed:
- Heavy duty garbage bags
- New blankets, pillows, bedding, towels and cots
- Cleaning supplies of all types -- mops, brooms, pails, disinfectant, bleach, detergent
- Flash lights and batteries, especially D batteries
- Work gloves
- Disposable diapers for babies of all sizes and Depends for senior citizens
- Non-perishable food items, especially chunky soups, protein items; canned tuna fish or salmon, sardines, peanut butter, bread, stews, canned ravioli, and juices. We need foods that don’t have to be heated. There is a tremendous need for food right now.
- Baby food of all types
- Pet food of all types
- Paper plates and cups
The drop-off location for the Rotary drive is the American Legion post in Le Roy, 53 W. Main St. Donated goods will be accepted until 6 p.m. today.