Quantcast
Skip to main content

Clarification on the Craig Lawson, Jason McNeil case

The family of Jason McNeil, the former WNY resident seriously injured after being struck by Craig Lawson at a Kid Rock concert a year ago, has asked we clarify some prior reporting on the case.

At a pre-trial hearing in January Deputy Lonnie Nati testified that immediately after the incident, Lawson made statements indicating that he and McNeil had been involved in a confrontation and that Lawson said, "he never should have touched my wife."

Not expecting a plea deal, we were not at Lawson's court appearance last week where Lawson entered a guilty plea to second-degree assault in exchange for a maximum one-year jail term. We reported the mere fact of the plea based on information provided by the D.A.'s office. At the hearing, Lawson made a statement we were not informed of until this morning.

Lawson said:

I've had the opportunity with my lawyers to again review the evidence the people will present against me at trial. I admit the individual I struck was not the person I encountered earlier while leaving the concert.

Lawson made no other statements concerning the events of July 5, 2013. He will be sentenced Aug. 18.

Premium Drupal Themes