Sometime these responses for these careless reasons will cost somebody who might need a response for a real reason. Your adults, act like it!!!!!
Steamy laundry room prompts volunteer firefighters to respond to College Village alarm
Submitted by Billie Owens on December 29, 2013 - 3:19pm
Town of Batavia volunteer firefighters are back in service after responding to College Village when a fire alarm sounded in the laundry room.
"They left the window open again?"
"They just don't get it."
In addition to heating soup and zapping microwave popcorn, laundromats are posing yet another challenge for some villagers.
Burnt popcorn and meat on the stove calls are the most common call second only to EMS runs in fire districts that have college dorms, ALL College Towns. It happens in Buffalo Syracuse and Rochester as well.
It isn't always the kids, the smoke and heat detectors in dorms are necessarily on the sensitive side and micro wave cooking of popcorn which often results. The open window in a laundry room, think about it how many people would even think that was a problem? . It is especially taxing on municipalities that have Volunteer FD's
Whether it's Buff State, Fredonia, Cornell or Ithaca College these kind of calls are going to happen, They even happen at an increased rate in areas with high rise apartments.
Another reason why first responders are jewels in our community, they keep answering the tone no matter what.
http://ku.edu/safety/2013_Clery.pdf [See Page 32]
They must have a reason they keep opening the window. Maybe GCC should install an exhaust vent they can turn on.
It's common sense. When doing laundry if you open the window and the dryer exhaust blows in you close it.
yeah but then you might get caught smoking reefer while waiting for your clothes to dry
If the students responsible for creating false alarms were charged say $25.00 the number of alarms would diminish. Even if the money didn't go directly to the fire department, we would save money.