Opening ceremonies are Thursday for Cost of Freedom Tribute at Pembroke Town Park
Submitted by Billie Owens on June 11, 2014 - 2:14pm
The Oakfield-Alabama American Legion Post #626 is hosting a series of events this week as part of its Cost of Freedom Tribute at the Pembroke Town Park, located next to Pembroke High School, 1145 Main Road (Route 77) in Corfu. On Thursday, June 12, opening ceremonies will take place.
First, at 11 a.m., is the Assembly of Color Guards in the athletic field.
Starting at noon:
- The American flag at the park will be lowered to half staff, led by the 98th Division drill sargeant;
- The Special Forces Association Parachute Team from Fort Bragg, N.C., will conduct the "Jumping in of the American Flag." Air support will be provided by WYN Sky Diving from Akron;
- The National Athem will be sung by Harmony Bordinaro;
- The Pledge of Allegiance will be led by Bobbie Metcalf of Blue Star Mothers;
- Invocation -- American Legion Post #626 Chaplain Patrick Wilson;
- Introduction of guest speaker by LTC William Fava (Army retired);
- Guest speaker -- Brigadier General Frank Cipolla (Army retired);
- Placement of Memorial Wreath -- American Legion Post #626 & VFW Post #1484;
- Placement of additional wreaths by the Vietnam Veterans Chapter #193, Blue Star Mothers, Gold Star Mothers, American Legion Post #626 Auxiliary, Genesee County American Legion, and Genesee County American Legion Auxiliary;
- Benediction -- American Legion Post #626 Chaplain Patrick Wilson;
- Rifle Salute -- North / South Skirmish Association of WNY;
- Taps -- Tom Cecere;
- Fly-over at 1300 hours, if Pentagon approved.
Following opening ceremonies, at 1:30 p.m., patriotic music will be played by Danny B.
The daily closing ceremony is at 8 p.m. with a benediction by Rev. Patrick Wilson of the Alabama Baptist Church; Rifle Salute by the North / South Skirmish Association of WNY; Taps by Tom Cecere and Frank Panepento.