College board invites nominations for honorary associate degrees
Submitted by Billie Owens on December 21, 2013 - 6:40pm
The Board of Trustees is inviting faculty, staff, students and community residents to nominate individuals for honorary Genesee Community College associate degrees, Trustee Laurie J. Miller said at Monday evening's board meeting.
Nominees must be individuals who have an association with Genesee Community College, and who have made extraordinary contributions to the life and growth of the College; or who are notable leaders in academic disciplines taught by the College; or individuals who have earned business, professional, civic or scholarly accomplishments. Honorary degrees will be awarded during the May 2014 commencement ceremonies, Miller said.
Nomination forms are available on the College's Web site at:
New York State law was amended six years ago to permit community colleges to award honorary degrees. Past honorary degree recipients at Genesee Community College include founding president Alfred C. O'Connell (2007); former Genesee County Board of Supervisors Chair William W. Stuart (posthumously in 2007); founding trustee and college advocate Neil T. Burns (2007); founding and longtime trustee Anthony T. Zambito (posthumously in 2008); Genesee's first staff member, Eva L. Bohn (2011).
In other business Monday evening, the Board of Trustees:
- Heard Diane D. Torcello, Finance Committee chair, report that Lumsden and McCormick, LLC, the College's auditing firm, completed the fiscal audit for the 2012-2013 year, and issued a "clear, clean" audit without deficiencies. Torcello also said that first quarter operations were consistent with budget projections.
- Heard President James Sunser report that 340 students are currently finishing their coursework in the fall semester and upon successful completion they will be candidates for graduation in January. Specifically, there are 145 A.S. degree (Associate in Science); 165 A.A.S. (Associate in Applied Science; 6 A.A. (Associate in Arts); and 24 Certificate graduation candidates from GCC in January 2014.
- Heard Virginia M. Taylor, Ed.D, vice president for Student and Enrollment Services, report that the College's "Winterim" session has enrolled 114 students, up from the 35 students enrolled from Winterim last year. Winterim offers online credit courses between the fall and spring semesters.
- Heard President Sunser report on the appointment of two new staff members. Doreen Bortle will serve as technical assistant in the Math/Science and Career Education office as a testing associate. She has taught GCC's First Year Experience course as an adjunct faculty member for the past three years. Bortle received her B.S. degree from SUNY Brockport and resides in Batavia. After numerous years serving as an advisor in GCC's Student Support Services area, Theresa Gorecki is now the technical specialist in the College's Career Services office. The position is funded through a Perkins Grant as a temporary appointment. Gorecki earned her M.S. in Elementary Education from Medaille College and her B.S. in English from SUNY Empire State College. She resides in Batavia. "Both of these employees have been working at Genesee for some time in a part-time capacity," President Sunser said. "After conducting a full open search, it was nice that the best candidates were right here already serving the College. I know they bring a lot of institutional understanding to their new roles."
Genesee Community College's Spring 2014 semester opens Jan. 13. To register for courses stop by any campus location or go to: www.genesee.edu/courses/schedule/.
Academic and financial aid advisors will be available Mondays through Thursdays from 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.; Fridays 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.; and Saturday, Jan. 11, from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. In addition, the offices will be opening at 8 a.m. Jan. 6 - 9, 2014. These hours extend to all seven campus locations:
• Albion, 456 West Avenue / 585-589-4936
• Arcade, 25 Edward St. / 585-492-5265
• Batavia, One College Road / 585-345-6800
• Dansville, 31 Clara Barton St. / 585-335-7820
• Lima, 7285 Gale Road / 585-582-1226
• Medina, 11470 Maple Ridge Road / 585-798-1688
• Warsaw, 115 Linwood Ave. / 585-786-3010